Posts

Week 14 - Finished

Image
We are done with our project. Our goal was to get as many drones flying as we could. We ended up getting 2 AR2.0s flying and the quad. I think we could have got more don't if we didn't spend so much time on the hexacopter but at least we got it all put together. We also got the taranis transmitter set up so we could use it on most of the drones we build here. These are pictures of the completed taranis and quad.

Week 14 - Giving up on the Hexa

Image
The hexa copter has been an on and off project for a few years now. A few different people have tried to get it working but it seems to be cursed. We tried tackling the problem but ended up with the same outcome. We actually got it flying pretty well but it would do a flip out of nowhere every few minutes. We figured the problem was the old spektrum setup we were using and figured switching to the brand new taranis would fix it. After switching to taranis the hexa wouldn't even budge, at this point we were out of time and came to the conclusion it was cursed.
These are pictures of the completed quad.

Week 13: ALMOST THERE

Today we dialed in the quad with gps with a quick trip to home depot to get some super glue to tighten her down. after we got the quad flying with it and tested it with some wind. Even with a slight wind the quad kept its place in the air and performed beautifully. WITHOUT CRASHING... For once.

Week 13: Flying Niceeeeeee

Today we got it flying almost perfectly after we changed the setting and props it flew near perfectly and all we have to do now is mount the gps antenna to get it to 100%. Also today we attemoted to trouble shoot the landing gear but soon found out that the NAZA isnt capible of having a servo output.

Week 12: We fix what we thing is wrong with the quad

Image
After the bad flight attempt we brainstormed what we think was wrong with it. Matt figured it was the rates because such a small input would move the quad drastically. I thought it was the props because the current ones were very flexible and small and werent the right kind for our low KV motors. We fix both issues but run out of time to test it.

Week 12: First attempt at flight fails

Image
We got everything set up with the quad and taranis and attempted for the first flight. The quad got off the groung but was very wobbly and unstable. It just wasn't safe and felt like it could crash at any time. Although we were happy it got off the ground we needed it to be perfect.

Week 11: Taranis Setup

Image
We just got the brand new taranis and have to go through the process of setting it up. Setting it up requires creating the aircraft file in the controller and putting the proper output setting. We then have to bind it to the receiver and go into the NAZA program on the computer and set an arm switch and make sure all of the outputs are registering in it and not reversed.